By 1870, the Methodist church had a shared home with the Congregational Church in lower Steele Street. They coexisted until two Methodists, Basil Archer and Robert Stewart Jnr, donated land in 1888 at the corner of Steele and Upper Fenton Streets on which to build the Devonport Methodist Church.
The original, somewhat modest church was opened 16 months later on October 6, 1889.
Nine years later, buoyed by the growth of the church, Archer and Stewart donated more land, extending the church footprint to Archer Street to build what would become the existing grand structure with its steeple, stained glass windows and enormous pipe organ. It cost £3462 pounds and was constructed during the hard days of the Great Depression.
Architect Stephen Priest drew his inspiration from Holy Trinity Anglican Church in Hampton, on Melbourne’s bayside.
Devonport builders Wilson Brothers were contracted to build the new church which finally opened 42 years later on March 12, 1932. The Fincham pipe organ was added in 1938.